Everyone starts somewhere--even if that “somewhere” is in the living room! Looking to begin a simple and effective workout routine in-between Zoom calls, cooking dinner, or episodes of your favorite TV series but unable to find the right one? You’re not alone; we have been too. With everything going on in the world, there is no doubt that finding doable, fun, and worthwhile workouts has been challenging… but worry no longer! We have done our research and have compiled this list of exercises that if combined, create easy at home workouts for beginners that finally fit the bill; these customizable easy workouts for beginners require little equipment, little space, and just a few minutes of your day to ensure that fitness can be done anywhere, at any time, by anyone:
When it comes to crafting the perfect workout routine, we believe that there are three main categories of exercises to include: Upper Bodyweight Exercises, Core Bodyweight Exercises, and Lower Bodyweight Exercises. Combining these different types of exercises and performing them at your own pace allows you to create a fitness routine that not only makes you feel good, but is personalized to your own body and fitness journey as well. Although this list is separated into three categories, all the exercises that are included are meant to be mixed and matched--choose which ones speak to you, try them out, have fun, and come back when you want to try a different combination! When it comes to fitness, one size NEVER fits all.
Upper Body Easy At Home Workouts for Beginners:
- Push-Ups: Traditional or modified, push-ups help you build strength by working the triceps, pectoral muscles, shoulders. It’s almost like three workouts in one!
- Dips: Perfect for any room in the house, the only equipment you need to perform successful dips is a chair! Once you find the chair you want to use, begin this exercise by sitting on the edge of a chair. Next, move your hips forward and use your arms to lift and suspend yourself off of your seat. Bend your elbows, drop your hips toward the floor, and repeat!
- Dead Lifts: This exercise brings the gym home! Grab a heavy object such as a gallon sized jug of water and start by standing up straight with your knees slightly bent. Begin movement by keeping your back straight and reaching down to take hold of the weighted object in front of you. Repeat by returning yourself to the starting position before lowering back down again.
Core Easy At Home Workouts for Beginners:
- Sit-Ups: Have a family member hold your feet down while you complete this classic exercise! Sit ups target core muscles and promote good posture while only using your bodyweight to do the work.
- Bicycles: The best exercise to save for a rainy day! To go for a ride inside, lie with your back on the floor and your knees bent, and your feet in the air. After this, place your hands behind your head and start moving your legs in the way you would if you were taking your bike for a spin! Repeat for at least one minute.
- Planks: Complete this go-to move by propping yourself up on your elbows and toes, and keeping your back and legs straight. Listen to your body, breathe, and hold the pose for as long as you can!
Lower Body Easy At Home Workouts for Beginners:
- Lunges: Working on the strength and shape of your lower body, lunges are a staple! After starting with your feet parallel, take a large step forward with your left or right leg and position yourself so your knee is bent over your toes. From here, your back knee should drop down and your opposite arm should come forward for balance. Push off the foot that is lunged forward to return to the starting position, and lead with the opposite foot to begin again.
- High Knees: Time to lift your legs as high as you can! Complete this exercise by jogging in place.
- Calf Raises: For support, begin this simple exercise by facing a wall and placing your palms on it and out in front of you. Rise up and down on your toes and repeat.
To include more people in on the fun of exercises like these, another idea for easy workouts for beginners is to play a fitness game! With 30 different bodyweight exercises, instructive diagrams, and three repetition levels (Easy, Medium, and Hard) all in one deck of cards, Playout: The Game of Fitness and Playout 2: The Expansion utilize the type of exercises listed above and transform them into games for all ages and fitness levels to enjoy.
With plenty of simple, effective, and easy workouts for beginners to choose from, we hope this list, compiled from Fatherly.com, helps you meet all your fitness goals with ease!