WOD: In CrossFit terms, this means “Work Out of the Day.” Whether you are looking for exercise at home for beginners or a more intense at-home fitness workout, fitness exercises at home--especially cross fitness workouts at home-- can be modified based on reps, rounds, and equipment to make sure you complete your very own “Work Out of the Day.” Composed of actions that you already perform in your day-to-day life, Cross Fitness exercises use functional movements performed at different levels of intensity to help strengthen and condition your body and improve both your physical and mental health. Here are 10 cross fitness workouts to try at home based on your ability, comfort level, and individual fitness journey!
At-Home Workouts for Beginners:
- Simple Burpee Workout - This one is as easy as pie! To complete this WOD, do as many burpees as you can in 8 minutes (more or less, depending on your comfort level!). Check out our blog entitled “CrossFit Workouts at Home for Beginners” or use one of our Playout Game Decks for step by step instructions on how to perform the perfect burpee.
- Jumps and Lunges - Start by doing 15 lunges on each leg with a moderate-weight (a book, canned goods, etc) in hand. Then, do 60 jumps with a jump rope. Repeat this exercise at least 5 times for a higher intensity workout!
- Tabata Push-Ups and Lunges - The term “Tabata” means to perform a move for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds before doing the move again. Conquer this “Tabata” exercise by setting a clock for 8 minutes and doing 20 seconds of push-ups, resting for 10 seconds, doing 20 seconds of lunges, resting for 10 seconds, and then repeating the cycle.
- Dumbbells and Jump Ropes - If you don’t have dumbbells, do not worry! Some at-home fitness workout alternatives to dumbbells are milk jugs, paint cans, or packets of rice or beans. After grabbing your weight and your jump rope, use the equipment to complete the following exercises for 3 minutes straight with 1 minute in between: weighted lunges, weighted sit-ups, and jumping rope.
- Push-Ups and Burpees in 5s - Just as the name implies! 5 sit-ups, 5 burpees, and then run in place for 1 minute. Repeat these exercises 5 times to finish.
More advanced Cross Fitness Workouts at Home:
- Burpee Box Jumps - begin by setting a timer for 8 minutes. Next, do a standard burpee and end by jumping on a box instead of the traditional jumping up to clap your hands. Jump down from the box and begin the set again with your feet firmly planted on the ground. Repeat as many times as you can within the 8 minutes on your timer.
- Defying Gravity - tackle this workout by completing each of these exercises every minute on the minute for 15 minutes: 5 burpees, 10 jumping lunges, 5 squats.
- Push, Sit, and Run - utilize any backyard space or a local park to complete this WOD! 400-meter run, 10 push-ups, 400-meter run, 10 sit-ups, 400-meter run, 10 push-ups, 400-meter run, 10 sit-ups.
- Quad Goals - start your quest to reach these goals by grabbing your bike and spending some more time outdoors! 2 minutes on the bike, 2 minutes of squats, and repeat!
- Up the Ladder - 10 squats, 20 sit-ups, 20 squats, 20 push-ups, 30 squats, 20 sit-ups, 40 squats, 20 push-ups, 50 squats.
We hope these combinations of exercises equip you with all you need to conquer your at home and cross fitness goals! Remember, you can always modify these at-home fitness workouts to cater to your own body. This list of workouts comes from blog.wodify.com. If you would like to check out even more exercises or would like to include your family in your “Work Out of the Day,” check out Playout XL (Family Edition) or any other of our Playout card decks! With full-page exercise diagrams with Easy, Middle, and Hard intensities, use Playout to turn workouts and workout routines like those listed above into a game, and to continue your fitness exercises at home while having fun along the way! We can’t wait to see all that you accomplish!